Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2020, 07:13:28 AM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: Become a fan of the Planet Bluegrass Facebook page

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Telluride Bluegrass Festival (Moderators: TellurideTom, Ron N Deb)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Ahoy there! Anyone out there?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Ahoy there! Anyone out there?  (Read 492 times)
MrEdyoulis
Festivarian

Festivation rating 213

URL icon « on: September 14, 2020, 03:02:52 PM »

Hailing from the incinerating state.  Wondering how others are holding up.  Learn any new tunes?  Find any new artists?  Take up any new hobbies or careers?

We have a hint of blue in the skies here in Sonoma County after a month of fires.  Where there is life, there is hope.

Hang in there Festivoids!

Now Playing icon Listening to: Scary Pockets "Let Me Love You"
IP address Logged
FaceOnMars
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 10:32:37 AM »

Glad to hear there's at least a hint of blue skies!  Hopefully, the worst if behind you.

Took a walk up Bear Creek yesterday and started out in the campground as I normally do.  The underbrush and some of the first wave of trees are starting to turn.   I couldn't help but think about bluegrass & it was an eery feeling for sure. 

Not looking to be a downer, but the dots seemed to really connect for me this past week about music into the foreseeable future.  I kind of knew it all along, but just really didn't think about it too hard until hearing Dr. Fauci talk about 70-75% effectiveness of a vaccine and that it likely wouldn't be widely available until the summer of 2021.

It's been over a year since I've seen my last big concert (Phish at Dicks) , and have only seen two at the Opera House since.  For the past 10 years I've seen at least 50-80 shows per year ... so it's been quite the change to say the least.

Unfortunately, I've come to terms with that even if we're all on best behavior (which I kinda doubt) and a vaccine is at least partially distributed, large scale music events in the summer of 2021 would still likely be a long shot.  Perhaps we might find a viable pathway for something to come to fruition, and I'm eternally optimistic about it, but I'm not ready to bet on it just yet. 

IP address Logged

RIP Rob Wasserman
ToddG
Old Timer

Festivation rating 420

Let's Pick!

URL icon « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 10:46:15 AM »

Still alive in Oklahoma. We saw our second live music event (which we didn't host) last night. Brian Haas from Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, backed by Jordan Hehl and Nicolas Foster of Knipple. It was amazing and so nice to see music performed in the flesh! These shows have been backyard productions, limited to a 30 person audience.

We had a music campout party for solstice with about 100 people camping at our land for 2-3 nights. That was fun.

Doing another party for our good friends 40th birthday in October, which is going to have twice the bands, and probably twice the attendance, though we aim to keep it at or under 200. Which still gives lots of room to spread out on the lawn.

Live music seems to be evolving through these strange times. Drive in shows, streams, low capacity shows, and musicians taking into their own doing backyard gigs, deck gigs etc...

I just can't see live music not happening next year. Many people may never feel confident returning to any normality. I foresee any future music ticket sales to be low, as there's still too many who will not attend any kind of live event. But, at the same time there's loads of folks ready to see shows at a regular indoor venue (I am not ready for that, though I want to badly).

If come next spring it is looking like no festivals or big music events are happening, then we plan to ramp up our "musical weekends" by booking larger touring acts, and having regular monthly music campouts with limited attendance.

If you are in the region and interested in seeing live music in later October and camping PM me and I'll keep you in the loop.  Cheers

Now Playing icon Listening to: Billy Strings-Home
IP address Logged

How come they don't turn the banjo up?
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC