Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 01:08:42 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: Follow Planet Bluegrass on Twitter

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  The Shed
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Mandolin
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Buying a mandolin to send to Afghanistan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Buying a mandolin to send to Afghanistan  (Read 4578 times)
anading

Festivation rating 11

URL icon « on: June 07, 2009, 10:00:25 PM »

My boyfriend is currently deployed in Afghanistan and wants me to send him a mandolin.  There isn't much to do during their down time and he wants to learn to play.  I need some advice.  While it doesn't get terribly hot in the region he lives, it is very dry and will get extremely cold this winter.  What would you recommend as a good mandolin for a beginner and what will he need besides the instrument?

Thanks for your help!

Ashley
IP address Logged
landshark
LOVES the internet

Festivation rating 420

3 chord's and a story that's me

URL icon « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:16:30 AM »

My boyfriend is currently deployed in Afghanistan and wants me to send him a mandolin.  There isn't much to do during their down time and he wants to learn to play.  I need some advice.  While it doesn't get terribly hot in the region he lives, it is very dry and will get extremely cold this winter.  What would you recommend as a good mandolin for a beginner and what will he need besides the instrument?

Thanks for your help!

Ashley
A Mandolin and case can be purchased on line, a tuner, some picks, and if he has a laptop he can either take lessons on line or you can purchase books off the internet. Pretty easy to get him set up really. Yer a nice girl to do that for him, very sweet Flower
IP address Logged

" Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world. " -  Albert Einstein
bluegrass bill
Festivarian

Festivation rating 236

URL icon « Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:27:25 AM »

your also going to need a few sets of strings.....I'm sure ther are not a lot of music stores there...
IP address Logged
Pen
Festivarian

Festivation rating 420

URL icon « Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 10:39:29 AM »

I'd recommend a Mid-Mo mando.  They're out of business now - but not usually too hard to find used ones.  They pop up frequently on Craigslist, Mandolincafe & ebay.  I often see them in the $350-$400 range.  They are solid wood and sound great.

Is he interested in a certain type of music? 

IP address Logged

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley
anading

Festivation rating 11

URL icon « Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 10:42:16 AM »

Thanks for all the replies!!!  He really likes bluegrass.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:55:18 PM by anading » IP address Logged
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC