To all Festivarians camping at Rocky Grass- It's time to get Green!
To extend the spirit of sustainable festivation into the campgrounds, Planet Bluegrass is again running How Green is your Grass? - the 2nd annual creative campsite challenge. Coordinated by the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics, this contest encourages all of us to raise the bar for sustainable camping by honoring campsites that excel in achieving the highest levels of the Leave No Trace philosophy.
How Do I Participate?
The contest is open to all campers in any of the Planet Bluegrass-managed campgrounds. To nominate your own campsite or one of your neighbors:
1. Take a digital photo of the campsite
2. Print out your campsite photos at the Leave No Trace booth in Greentown inside the Festival.
3. Submit a campsite entry form along with your printed photos.
4. Stop by the Leave No Trace booth each day to view all the campsite entries and vote for your favorites. Campsite finalists will be chosen daily by staff and Festivarians.
5. Leave No TracePlanet Bluegrass will select the grand prize winner after the campground pack-out is complete on Monday. The winner will be announced in the next “Notes from the Planet” email and on this web page.
How Do I Win?
We will be judging on three simple criteria:
1. Cleanliness. Are you repackaging the food you bring? Are you keeping a tidy campsite? Are items secure and not susceptible to wind gusts? Are you safely disposing of cigarette butts?
2. Sustainability. Are you separating your recyclables, compostables, and then placing them in the correct bins at the campsite waste stations? Are you reusing products (cups, utensils, water bottles, bags) instead of trashing them? Are you using any alternative energy sources to power your campsite? Did you bike or carpool to the festival; are you offsetting carbon emissions using wind credits or carbon offsets? Will you pack out as much as possible when leaving? Did you do anything to reduce your homes’ energy while attending the festival?
3. Creativity. Does your campsite have a theme? Are you utilizing any unique and innovative camping techniques?
What Do I Win?
One nominated campsite will be chosen as a finalist each day. One grand prize winner will be selected after the campground pack-out on Monday from the three daily finalists. This grand prize winner will receive a pair of On-Site Camping passes for the 2009 Festival.
So my question to all you camping Festivarians, is what are you planning on doing to be a green
I am looking forward to seeing all the entries!