Forum logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 17, 2017, 04:16:17 PM
Home | Help | Login | Register Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop
News: Sign up for our new Wildflower Concerts newsletter - for news and special offers

NavTree open  Festivarian Forum
NavTree sideNavTree open  General Category
NavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Song School (Moderators: TellurideTom, Ron N Deb)
NavTree downNavTree downNavTree sideNavTree open  Making Song School New Again for Returning Students
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
topic icon Author Topic: Making Song School New Again for Returning Students  (Read 4854 times)
RobBoston

Festivation rating 10

URL icon « on: June 08, 2011, 07:53:13 AM »

Let me say that I love SS and all the courses that are offered.  I've done a number of them multiple times.  Some get me exited to revisit every year and some just aren't for me.

I found something interesting last year.  I was tending to attend classes less and quietly write down by the St. Vraine more.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but as I attend my 7th SS I was wondering if there were some ideas on taking a fresh look at SS for returning students.  What have other long-timers done to get the most out of the week? 

Here are a few ideas:

- Ask to be an assistant in a course that you've taken a number of times
- Make it a mission to play with 10 new people you've never played with before
- Find someone's song that you enjoy and learn to cover it before you leave
- Take a new song idea and find a guitar style or groove from someone and see if you can come up with something new
- Camp away from your normal friends and find a bunch of new ones (you'll still see plenty of your favorite folks, but waking up to new people will drive new relationships)
- Find a place that you've never hung around and try to write a song there.  New surroundings can drive new ideas

These are just somethings that hit me.  What else could be done?

-Rob
IP address Logged

Trying to balance life, work, fatherhood, husbandhood and music on a daily basis...and failing.
Ice Tre
Small Member

Festivation rating 60

URL icon « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 06:02:34 PM »

All good ideas Rob, especially making new friends.  Now that I know your priorities, I won't get my feelings hurt when you ignore me.  ;-)  See you in a few weeks!

-Rob Roper
IP address Logged
Pages: [1] Go upGo Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Planet Bluegrass | Facebook | Twitter | Shop | Festivarian Forum rss feed Powered by SMF | SMF © Simple Machines LLC